Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Districts! Here We Come!

Well, both my day and night teams clinched playoff berths Tuesday with match wins. I have played every single match for both teams at number one singles and am so proud of our results.



I played last summer with the day team and we came one match short of advancing to the post season, so I am thrilled that we were able to come back stronger this year. My night team is comprised of a group of ladies, the majority of whom made it to Nationals last year. I am happy this team made it to playoffs, too, because it was a HUGE decision for me to play with them. The captain of the team asked me to play, but joining that team meant leaving a group of friends I had a blast playing with in the years before. Even after I made the decision to join my night team, I struggled with my decision, worrying if I had made the right one. I left my old team to join a team that I thought would be more competitive. The goal of the team from the start was to advance beyond the regular season and every person on the team seemed to buy into that goal. They were competitive and I wanted to play on a team that was serious about competing sans the drama that can sometimes exist on teams whose primary goal is not "having fun". I didn't know anyone on the new team with the exception of the captain. I live on the east side, so the drive to the practices twice a month during the winter provided me plenty of time to second guess my decision. Whatever sport I do, I like to have fun while I am doing it. Otherwise, why do it? The practices for the team were fun and I began to know my teammates a little more, but the process was slow, considering I was only seeing them twice a month. Before the season started, I missed my old team.



At some point, I stopped worrying about it and my conflicting thoughts sort of just floated away, but Tuesday after clinching a spot in the playoffs, it dawned on me that I had made the right decision.



I love my team. They are so supportive. I play singles so

No comments:

Post a Comment