Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Technifibre Razor Code: A String Review

Last February, after a very targeted shopping session at www.tennis-warehouse.com, I was looking for something small to tip my total in the direction of being eligible for free shipping. I browsed wristbands and armbands, socks, towels, and bandanas, before finally settling on a package of string. I am a frequent string breaker and figured, stocking up on string is always a good idea.

I'd been using Technifibre's Black Code in 18 gauge, a pentagonal-shaped polyester string. I started using 18g to string my racquets after a wrist fracture left me super susceptible to wrist soreness and tendinitis. 18g is a thinner string than the traditional 16g or even the 17g. Also, even among 18g string, Technifibre's Black Code was one of the softest polys that I tested. Poly strings have an increased durability over synthetic gut strings. Black Code, to me, was a softer poly string that was a slight step up in the durability department. Although I was restringing frequently, I was not stringing as frequently as if I was using a synthetic gut string. I hit with a lot spin and can easily break synthetic gut strings within a week of playing with them.

While I was scrolling through the selection of Technifibre's polyester strings, I found a new string, Razor Code. I have to admit what initially attracted me to the string was it's light blue color. I frequently choose my tennis shoes, racquets, bags, hockey sticks, etc., based on their color first. Many a time, I've prayed to the sport gods that the hot pink hockey stick that my eyes longed for actually felt good enough to use. So, I added the blue string to my online cart and checked out.

I strung one of my Wilson Juice Racquets with the new string at maximum tension and went out to hit with a college-bound junior player. I did use a string dampener although I normally don't because as I was stringing I felt that this string was a lot stiffer than the Black Code. It took me less than fifteen minutes to decide I loved this string.
The thing I loved the most was that every flat ball I hit had a crisp, solid feel coming off of my racquet. I loved the extra "pop" I felt on my groundstrokes. The added power definitely defied the deadened feeling I normally got from traditional poly strings. Although I would have to attribute the control I felt more to my heavy pro-model racquet, I did feel more control on flat groundstrokes than I ever did on flat strokes with Black Code. I could really take a fast swing at the ball, connect, and keep the ball deep in the court without worry of it sailing long on me. The seamless balance achieved between power and control with Razor Code is remarkable.

In terms of spin, for some reason I have yet to figure out, it took a minute to hit my serve and any groundstrokes with kick or topspin. It seemed to me, that I needed to work harder to produce the same spin I could produce effortlessly with Black Code. It didn't take me long to adjust, but it was a weird first few hours with Razor Code. Once I did "find my spin", I found that the thinner gauge really helped bite the ball and topspin was very good, not as much as I experienced with Black Code, but definitely more than other gauges of string or other brands of poly. Disappointingly, for slice, I seem to, still (after hitting with Razor Code for five months now), have to strike the ball perfectly to really knife through the ball and get it to stay low.

On a scale of one to ten, ten being the most satisfied, I would have to give this string a three for durability. Although I hit with the string for many hours without it breaking, Razor Code lost tension quickly. In three weeks of hitting exclusively with the one racquet that contained this string, there was a marked difference between day one and day twenty-one, leading me to question my initial excitement with the string.

I had refrained from stringing the rest of my racquets with Razor Code because I was waiting to see if I developed any wrist soreness or other arm soreness that could be associated with the string change. A few college players I talked to who absolutely loved the string (16g or 17g versions), all developed pain in their tendons above their elbow almost immediately after using the string. But after a month of no-pain, I decided to take the plunge and put Razor Code in all of my racquets. It was then, I renewed the love I initially had for this string.

When the string job is new, this string is awesome. The quickly lost tension coupled with the price of this string ($200 for a reel, $16 for a set) makes me give this string just an average rating for value. Although it is not expensive as some similar strings, the lost tension means more frequent stringing.

Overall, I am definitely happy with this string.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I'm debating a second reel of black code and was considering razor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice review will put razor code charcoal colour as mains and wiess cannon as cross for comfort

      Delete
  2. Sorry forgot to say which wiess cannon, Weiss cannon element 500

    ReplyDelete