Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

One, Two, Three...


7 matches in 36 hours! I am surprised that I didn't have to be propped up to take this picture. 3rd place in the 30s Singles division. Not too bad!

Because of the small draws in all of the divisions, play did not begin until Saturday morning. I spent the night with relatives in a suburb northwest of Chicago, so Saturday morning I had a two hour drive to the tournament site. I wanted to use the time driving to the match to focus on my goals. I participated in three divisions of the Midwest Adult Championships; women's 30s singles, women's open singles and women's open doubles. For the open divisions, I simply wanted to play the best tennis I was capable of against the younger, harder hitting opponents I was likely to be facing. With my league teams advancing to the playoffs, I wanted to be able to play this boot-camp style tennis, getting as many matches in as possible before next weekend. In the 30s event, I wanted to win as many matches as possible in order to earn ranking points because this event would add points to my national ranking.

There are times when despite your best efforts, it may not be meant for you to win. This is a lesson, I have resisted learning all season long. I went 18-3 this summer in singles during USTA league play and despite that being a very good record, I have focused on the losses, obsessed about the failures and generally beat myself up afterwards for 'what went wrong'. Of the three losses, realistically, there was only one match where the outcome was within my control. But I have really taken losses hard this year.

So Saturday, despite my best intentions, did not start the way I would have liked it to. I was sick to my stomach on the drive to the match. When I got to the tournament site, because of the rain, play had been moved inside and 9 o'clock matches were put on as soon as both players arrived at the indoor facility. So mentally prepared for a 9 o'clock start, I was not prepared to go on at 8:15. And even though my stomach had settled, butterflies began to return. I hadn't had a chance to eat because of the upset stomach. The day before I had practiced under the same circumstances of not eating and had gotten extremely dizzy ten minutes into the drills, so the thought of not eating occupied my mind during the five minute warm-up.

I started the match by losing my service game. I managed to hang in the match for the next six games before I was broken again. My opponent never lost her serve. In the beginning of the second set, I began to notice slight cramping, but it never really affected my play, so I ignored it, instead trying to keep my goal in mind; play the best points I can. I was happy with my first round loss, because I was happy with my play.

Then came my second match, one hour after my first one finished...

The cramping was almost immediate. Despite having come close to ODing on potassium, both pills and bananas, and chugging gatorades one after the other, nothing would alleviate the cramping. By the second set of a 1-6, 0-6 loss, I couldn't even manage to swing at balls that were merely a foot away. There was a huge indentation in the bicep of my hitting arm that formed a near perfect 'V' in the middle. After the match when I went to stand on my toes, several of them curled like the ribbons on a birthday present. Never had I experienced something like that and on top of everything, I had lost my opening match in the 30s singles, the one event where I wanted to win.

Eventually, the cramping went away. The bananas and the pills begin to do their jobs and I was able to play a third singles match and a doubles match that afternoon without incident.

I've talked about my doubles partner before, a thirteen-year old who is preparing to play pro events next year when she turns 14 in order to be exposed to hard hitting players. I've watched her a lot this summer demolishing some players and losing to others with obvious less talent. I always ask her what happened after her losses and she always responds with the same smile and shrug. I admire how the losses never stick with her. But when talking to her and her father, I understand; win or lose, the goals are being met; being aggressive on points, hitting a good, deep, hard ball. Her success isn't measured in wins or losses.

I started playing tournaments to improve my game. I wanted to hit with people who hit the ball hard. I wanted to find the best competition and do my best while competing. There was a time when that meant success for me, when I was just happy to be on a court playing an opponent who hit with pace and didn't junk up every single shot that came my way.

I left the tournament late Sunday afternoon having won 3 matches and loss 4. I was runner up in the Open Consolation Singles Finals, third place in 30s singles, and 2nd place with Ty Ana in Open doubles.

I got to drive two hours by myself to my relatives to pick up my mom and my nephew before heading home. During that alone time, I reflected on my tournament.

I really do love playing these tournaments. I'd been on the fence about attending the National 30s Clay Court tournament in Florida in November. There's the expense, the lack of experience on clay, and my plunging confidence. But Sunday, I felt renewed.

The first goal is to do my part in getting one of my playoff bound teams to nationals! To do that, I need to just play the best tennis I am capable of, not worrying about who is on the other side of my net. My mom often reminds me that my opponent is not on the other side of the net. My opponent is in my head.

My second goal is to prepare for the Midwest Open Series tournament in Cincy at the end of August. That is a time for me to play my best and have fun with Ty Ana.

My third goal is to prepare for the next sectional tournament which is the first weekend in October.

One, Two, Three...

Stay tuned,
KS

No comments:

Post a Comment