Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Clay

The last time on clay did NOT go well. Sept 2008, I played a lady on clay that I had played on hard court twice, beating her once in straight sets and losing to her once in three grueling sets under the 90 degree July sun. Then that Sept, I played her on clay. And I lost. I believe the scores were something like 1-6, 0-6. (I've tried very hard to block that match out of my memory.)

So, you understand my trepidation.

Today, I showed up at the Metropolitan Racquet Club on the west side of Detroit, thirty minutes early for my first clay court match in almost a year. A lot had changed since that last clay court match. I am a stronger player. I am more consistent. And I think the biggest factor, I am more confident. No longer do I walk on the court and wonder the outcome. It's been a long time since I've walked on a court, not expecting to win. Even in my losses this summer, I never had the doomed feeling that I was going to lose and I think that has helped me become a much more competitive player.

We took the court at 11:30am. I was happy for the opportunity to try to complete my match before the raising temperatures reached heights that induce a heat stupidity. (It's a condition that occurs when your mind can't comprehend why you are running around in temperatures hot enough to bake a cobbler.) You can't remember the score. You forget whose turn it is to serve. And please, please don't have a conversation with me, because...Huh?

The first two games went very well. I went for my shots, something I have worked very hard on this year. "Keeping the ball in play" is no longer a strategy for me. I want to impose my game. I want to force my opponent to hit the shots I want them to hit, not try to outlast them in some kind of tennis patty-cake.

Then she hit a shot on me that caused me to have to run to get. Slippery underneath my feet. Feet didn't like that. So, I started running gingerly, kind of like you would if you knew there was a trapdoor hidden somewhere beneath you.

But the final score was 6-3, 6-2.

This match, this tournament, was important to me for several reasons. My first national tournament in the 30s age group will probably be on clay. So, I needed more experience on the surface. Second, this was the first tournament I did where I was the number one seed and I didn't want to disappoint. Third, I am on a mission to accumulate as many tournament points for wins as I possibly can. And with the win today, more points!

I am super sore from the first week of weight training, but happy that stiffness didn't prevent me from playing well.

Tomorrow's the final.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment