Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stinking Thinking

38 days and counting...

38 days until the 30s National Indoor tournament.

Although my days have primarily been filled with training and tennis (aside from a couple of weeks where asthma decided to kick my butt), I am beginning to feel less confident.

I am often reminded to not do "stinkin' thinkin'", Dr. Phil's favorite saying when someone has bad thoughts for no good reason, but sometimes, it is so hard not to.

I lose a match to a person I shouldn't or even struggle with and win ugly against a player of lessor talent and I begin to think maybe I don't have the talent to compete for a Gold Ball. But then I will have an amazing match and I think that I can't wait for the end of April.

All of my practices are purposeful. Beforehand, goals are written down and despite results, I try very hard to stick to the plan. For example, win or lose, a goal might be to serve and volley, every opportunity I have. So at the end of a practice, when I have served and volleyed more times that Pete Sampras, himself, why am I disappointed with a set score of 3-6?

Stinking Thinking...

A goal of mine has been to hit with more pace. Too often, I don't go for shots that I make all day in practices and clinics. In matches, I am content to moonball to my opponent or push the ball back at the person who is pushing at me. So, in my first outside session of the year, when a well-intended, but very misguided, acquaintance reminded me to just get the ball back against a guy that routinely stomps me and waits for slow sitters, why did I allow myself to falter, to go away from my plan?

Stinking Thinking...

So, my goal for the next month is to be mentally tougher. When a psycho across the net from me, asks me for the millionth time whether I am sure of a call, I am going to "chill". When my opponent, who has brought her own lounge chair to the court so that her changeovers are only missing a pina colada with a little pink umbrella, I am going to "chill". When the person on the other side of the net decides to go fetch a third ball from another court before telling me my first serve is out, I am going to "chill" and then blow her away with a second serve ace!

Focus! No Stinking Thinking...

Stay tuned,

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment