Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Saint Joseph's College

Five hours to Rensselaer, Indiana!

I try to realize everything I do is a step in the process of attaining my goal.

But this weekend did not go as planned.

Usually I travel with my mom or Mark. So it was very different them not being there. I was unsettled from the start. I was happy to have earned the number one seed, which gave me a bye in the first round. But that also meant my first match wasn't until one o'clock on Saturday. I've often scoffed at tennis players' tendency to get sucked into superstitions; Nadal's obsession with the line up of his water bottles, Sharapova's compulsive routine before she serves.

But for the first time, I felt completely off. My first round match was against a very good freshman player. I lost even though I felt like I was hitting good shots. It was a windy day, which normally I love. It allows me to swing out on the ball. But on a day, where I was already feeling tight, the wind didn't help.

My second match was in the backdraw. I beat another freshman player, 6-1, 6-0. I was happy with the quick win, but didn't feel the match offered me the chance to get into a rhythm.

My third match was a tough one. I got out to a quick start despite some tightness in my legs. I hit with a lot of topspin and have a huge serve. I never realize how much I use my legs until the last day of a tournament when my legs are always there and I have to try to push through. I lost the second set and ended up losing the third set tiebreaker. Again, my opponent was a St. Joseph's incoming freshman, a talent player who managed to come back from a first set loss in three matches this weekend. That kind of toughness will help the bottom half of Saint Joe's lineup.

I enjoyed the tournament. The tournament director, coach of both the men's and women's programs at Saint Joseph, was so nice. All the money for the tournament benefits the school and I would in a heartbeat do the tournament again.

I also had the opportunity to play two doubles matches this weekend with my travel partner. I have to say, doubles is a hard thing. I'd never played with my partner before, so it was tough. I find it hard to play with partners who are nervous about my game. After a couple of successful poaches at the net, followed by one miss, I was told to leave the middle alone. It left me tentative. And those of you who know me, know that me watching balls go by me is not my style.

But live and learn. And learn and get better.

Its back to work for me. I have the mixed doubles districts to focus on. Back in the gym, back on the court. Let's go, Livonia!

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment