Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Rover's Job

In a local junior match, the parent of my child's opponent was upset with the rover who did not overrule two calls that the parent believed to be "in" even though my child called them out. After the match, she proceeded to tell the official that it was her job to correct the call. I know I am biased but the calls looked close to me.
-Trying To Stay Out Of It

Dear Trying To Stay Out Of It,

It is a rover's job to overrule erroneous "out" calls, but only if he clearly sees it in. Many times parents are sitting in positions to see the ball better than a rover who may not be standing in the best position to overrule a close call. The Friend at Court Comment VII. D-4 states "A rover should never overrule an extremely close call. Players are playing under The Code and are expected to give their opponents the benefit of the doubt."

No comments:

Post a Comment