Pages

Sunday, May 19, 2013

National Senior Women's Tournament Indoor

I just got back from Chicago where I played another national tournament. This one was one of the four Category I tournaments that are offered each year in each age category. It is my goal to win a Category I tournament.

However, this time, that goal was unrealized.

Chicago seems to be a bad luck town for me.

Nothing went devastatingly wrong, but nothing went overwhelmingly right either.

The highlight of the tournament (which included a full blown asthma attack, being told by my great-grandmother that my "booty was growing bigger everyday", not having the strings I wanted to have in my racquet, and being stood up by my hitting partners before matches) was a fifth place finish in doubles.

But there were other highlights, like playing doubles against the most amazing 51-year old player ever! Mary Dailey won World's a few years ago and I strive to be like her every time I hit the court now and hope to be like her when I hit the court in the years to come. She is quick and smart and so incredibly cool. Her footwork is amazing and she's always so nice to me. From day one, she's talked to me like I belonged there.

My brother, Luther, went with me this time and it was so good to know that he was watching me and cheering me on.

My second loss in singles was a two-hour match where I only won two games! (To put it in perspective, my opening round match in VA was two hours and I played three sets!) So very long rallies that I couldn't come out on top of. But I am proud that I didn't feel tired during this match, so I know my fitness has improved. I had long rallies, so I know my consistency has improved.

There is so much to improve upon, but I can finally see improvement, too. And that is awesome.

So, as usual, it is back to work for me. Back to the gym, back to the court, back to training and eating right and playing hard and lessons and match play.

Stay tuned,
KS

No comments:

Post a Comment