Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mixed Doubles State Champions!




The road was long!

This is my mixed doubles team and this past weekend, they won the State Championships for Michigan.

The road, for me, began last August when I was playing doubles in a tournament in Detroit. Archie, the captain of this Livonia team, asked me what mixed doubles team I played for. I had never played mixed doubles before, mostly because no one had ever asked me. And also, because I had done some drills with guys and had found several of their habits annoying. Like when they took the balls from me and decided they would serve first without consulting me. Or when they ran around like Speedy Gonzalez, hitting balls both on their side and mine. And then after a fifteen ball rally decided that the ball that was really out of their reach was mine.

There's a look. An incredulous look that they give the woman, like, why didn't you get that ball? Maybe, because I didn't know you had a fifteen ball limit! Maybe because you ran on my side for the last thirty balls, so I just assumed you'd run over here to get that one!

So, against my leeriness, I went to play my first match with these guys in January. And I continued to play and practice with them throughout the winter. When we played the winter playoffs and won, I truly began to believe in myself as a tennis player. My partner, Fred, was so cool. Always calm, he encouraged me to trust my shots even when they weren't falling and I was bailing on them.

As nice as it was to win the winter championships and then the district finals and then last weekend, the state finals, what I've enjoyed most was the camaraderie and support I found in this group. They've come to see my hockey games. They've come to see my summer doubles matches. They call to see how I am playing when I am playing on other teams, results that have nothing to do with the mixed doubles and our goals for that team.

Most of you know what a hard time I've had since I lost my dad ten years ago. And I've never had a grandfather. It's been a truly wonderful feeling to look up from the ice and see them all in the stands supporting me. I have a huge extended family.

Good luck at Sectionals, Team Livonia. And readers, stay tuned...

KS

No comments:

Post a Comment